Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Problem with Indie Games?

If you ever seen the indie games on xbox live then you'll know that almost all of them are pretty lame. There's nothing addictive about them and there's nothing that makes you want to come back for more.

In today's triple AAA game's what makes you want more? Well multiplayer makes game's unboring because it's like everytime is different. Like Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, if you have played the campaign part of the game its really fun the first time you play it and once you beat it you dont want to play it again and thats because it's going to be the same thing again whether you up the difficulty or not it's going to be the same thing and your going to know exactly what is going to happen when you play it again.

The best game in the world you ask? A game that never ends of course but in todays time it's not really possible the closest your going to get to a forever game would be of course mulitplayer games.

People that make indie games with XNA can make their games multiplayer and thats what most of them should be focusing on if they want to be successful.

3 comments:

  1. This is the same thing I wrote on the XNA forums.

    I have to say I disagree with almost everything said here. I generally believe that whether a game is multiplayer or not has absolutely no bearing on how good the game is. Most of my favorite games are single player, and even the ones that have multiplayer, it's not the multiplayer I enjoy. For example, MW2 as you have quoted. I found the campaign to be absolutely amazing, with a brilliant storyline. After playing it once, I played it through again in the highest difficulty and tried out a whole new bunch of ways of doing things.
    After playing the multiplayer for a couple of map cycles however, I found myself pretty bored. Many multiplayer games nowadays end up being the same cycle over and over, it's just neverending shooting and killing with no story progression.

    Another example is Bioshock 2. Brilliant game, but while the multiplayer is a good bit of fun now and then, I rarely pick it up to play as it just doesn't hold my interest.

    The indie games I am interested in seeing are ones that are well thought out, well designed with involving storylines and steady progession towards an end. I honestly can't think of anything a multiplayer game would offer me that would make me buy it.

    As for the best game in the world being one that never ends, I cant think of anything further from the truth. From a player point of view, many people want goals to aim for, and to feel like there is some sort of completion, and from a developer point of view... why would you want to make one game, then never make another as your players are all still playing the first one?

    It seems to me, that you have a pretty specific set of games that you enjoy, and you are applying your opinions to the entire world in general. Believe it or not, the are hundreds of games out there that people love to play that aren't Call of Duty of Halo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny I dont even own call of duty or halo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very enjoyed for this blog. Its an informative topic. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy. projeto arquitetura preço m2

    ReplyDelete