Saturday, April 24, 2010

Small Game

I'm working on a smaller game by myself because for one I would like to hurry and get my foot in the door and get a game on XBLIG. Also I'm hoping that I can do all of the programming myself and so far I have with good results so I'm happy about that.

I usually just do art but I'm trying to become a little better than amateur at programming, but I am still doing all the artwork as well.


So far the basic game mechanics work. I have a turret at the bottom center of the screen. This base code is from the 2D game tutorial. But I have done some programming myself though. In the original tutorial the cannon was positioned at bottom left of the screen and it could only rotate 90 degrees...It could shoot from straight up to anywhere inbetween to straight right. I've moved the cannon to the middle of the screen and made it where the cannon can rotate from full left to full right without turning a whole revolution.

You have to change the PiOver2 to just Pi. And to get the cannon in the middle of the screen you just have to set it's position to half of the screen width which would be 400 since the entire width is 800. I have also just implemented the Game-management-state to the game. But to make sure when you enter "Play Game" on the menu and it not go to the cornflowerblue screen you have to go to the bottom of the transition code and just delete the Graphics color line that includes the cornflowerblue in it and when you enter play game it shows the "fake" loading screen and then there's your game.

I'm glad there's all these samples, tutorials, and mini-games on XNA letting us use the base codes for our games because it makes it much easier I'm not much of a programmer yet but the art should be pretty vibrant and I hope to include gameplay mechanics that I cant find source code for. Like extra levels and enemy's who shoot back.

No comments:

Post a Comment